Monday, April 12, 2010

Former Sault Tribe Board of Directors Candidate Who Lost by 5 Votes Will Not Run This Election Cycle

Aniin, my name is Nathan Wright. Many of you remember me as the former Webmaster for the Sault Tribe. I sent your almost weekly e-mails and kept you updated via the Sault Tribe website. In 2008 I ran for Unit 1 Sault Tribe Representative and lost by five votes to Bernard Boushor.
Shortly after the 2008 elections, I and 80 other people (mostly tribal members) were laid off from the Sault Tribe as what they called “cost savings.” Many still feel my forced departure as well as others were politically motivated. Some have went farther to say I was fired to prevent me from running this election cycle by having me move out of the service area to find work. I am not bitter over this, it has made me a better person, with a better life. But I remain sad for those who were fired with me, who worked at the Sault Tribe longer than me and remain unemployed. I would have done whatever I could to prevent this from happening if I was on the board.

I am happy to report I am content with the current path I walk. After my layoff in 2008 by the Sault Tribe I was forced to relocate to support my family. I work and live in Petoskey, an area that was ceded by our ancestors; however, unless we live in the service area (Easter Upper Peninsula), none of us living in this ceded territory are allowed to run in a Sault Tribe election. Does it make sense that the area my and your ancestors ceded is not the Sault Tribe’s service area? Absolutely not! And because of this, I regrettably will not be able to run in the 2010 election cycle. I respectfully thank all of you who supported me in previous Sault Tribe elections. I still have hope. We all need hope right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment