Thursday, April 22, 2010

Official Candidate List

The Sault Tribe election committee has released the official candidate list for this year’s tribal board election.
The directors to be elected are as follows:
  • Unit 1 - two members
  • Unit 2 - one member
  • Unit 3 - one member
  • Unit 4 - one member
  • Unit 5 - one member
Board members with seats up for election are D.J. Hoffman and Dennis McKelvie in Unit 1, Keith Massaway in Unit 3, Shirley Petosky in Unit 5 and, running unopposed, Denise Chase in Unit 4.

Long time Board member Bob LaPoint will not run in Unit 2 and his seat will see six candidates vying for the position.

Primary election day is set for May 20.

Primary election ballots will be mailed to tribal members on April 29.

A special edition of the Sault Tribe newspaper Win Awenen Nisitotung is planned for May 7 with profiles and photos of all candidates in both print and online editions. Following the primary election, general election ballots will be mailed to voters on June 3, with the official vote count taking place June 24.
The following candidates for the 2010 primary election are listed in alphabetical order with the incumbents’ names in italics.

Unit 1 - Wayne Goetz, DJ Hoffman, Diedrie J. Malloy, Dennis McKelvie, Debra-Ann Pine and Barbara Smutek.
Unit 2 - William Baker, Lisa Burnside, James Kelley, Duncan MacArthur, Margaret Rounds and Catherine Tolan-Hollowell.
Unit 3 - Douglas Goudreau, Keith Massaway, and Wayne Pemble.
Unit 4 - Denise Chase
Unit 5 - Joan Carr-Anderson, Charles Matson, Shirley Petosky and Boyd Synder.

The term of all officers will be four years. Elections for board members from Unit 1, 2, 3 and 4, as well as the chairperson will be held in 2012.

In Unit 1 primaries we support 

Wayne Goetz, Diedrie J. Malloy, and Barb Smutek

Other units to follow.

1 comment:

  1. Nathan,

    Thank you for sending this information to me. I an a member of the tribe who lives out West and have been appalled by what I'm reading of the political climate within the tribe. I've found it difficult to get credible information to help me vote so I appreciate your take on all this.

    Living outside the UP, I got my ballot prior to May 5 and have already sent it back--more than a week ago. My vote, I'm sorry to say, was pretty much an exercise in dart throwing! I hope you and others who are in a position to pass along information and well-considered opinion will continue to do so. It helps.

    I wish I had received your email in time to help me decide how to vote in District 5.

    Thanks again,

    Beverly deGero

    ReplyDelete